The roots of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church are intertwined with Tuskegee University. Prior to the erection of the church building, services were held in various campus facilities with several priests in charge. On January 20, 1950, the Diocesan Convention approved the petition for St. Andrew's to become an Organized Mission.
The Ground-Breaking Ceremony for the church building was held on April 15, 1950, with the first spade of earth being turned by Mrs. Sarah P. Martin, the oldest member of the congregation--both in terms of age and membership. The first service was held in the church on April 29, 1951, at which time the Reverend H. J. C. Bowden presented 23 persons to the Right Reverend C. C. J. Carpenter, Bishop of Alabama, for Confirmation.
The Reverend Robert Earl DuBose, Jr. became the first resident Vicar of St. Andrew's on July 1, 1953, and served in that position until August 31, 1956. The Reverend Vernon A. Jones, Jr. was appointed Vicar of St. Andrew's in 1957, and began duties on October 15. When the Church achieved Parish status in January 1960, Father Jones was its first Rector and remained in that position until his retirement on August 31, 1990. The Reverend Father Liston A. Garfield was installed as our Rector in 1993 until his retirement in 2013.