St. Andrew's Episcopal Church
is located in Tuskegee, Alabama, adjacent to the campus of Tuskegee University where it was organized in 1912. It is the only Episcopal church in Macon County.
The membership is comprised of long-term Tuskegee families and Tuskegee University faculty and students.
St. Andrew's members come from diverse backgrounds and experiences, adding strength to the church and the community
The Mission of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, Tuskegee, is to put into action God's Love, drawing our Parish together in fellowship, worship, and the breaking of bread; to proclaim the Word of God, to live by Christian principles, to respond to the concerns of our Parishioners, to reach out to others in the world around us, and to be unified with God and each other through Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.
The roots of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church are intertwined with Tuskegee University. Prior to the erection of the church building, services were held in various campus facilities with several priests in charge. On January 20, 1950, the Diocesan Convention approved the petition for St. Andrew's to become an Organized Mission.
The Ground-Breaking Ceremony for the church building was held on April 15, 1950, with the first spade of earth being turned by Mrs. Sarah P. Martin, the oldest member of the congregation--both in terms of age and membership. The first service was held in the church on April 29, 1951, at which time the Reverend H. J. C. Bowden presented 23 persons to the Right Reverend C. C. J. Carpenter, Bishop of Alabama, for Confirmation.
The Reverend Robert Earl DuBose, Jr. became the first resident Vicar of St. Andrew's on July 1, 1953, and served in that position until August 31, 1956. The Reverend Vernon A. Jones, Jr. was appointed Vicar of St. Andrew's in 1957, and began duties on October 15. When the Church achieved Parish status in January 1960, Father Jones was its first Rector and remained in that position until his retirement on August 31, 1990. The Reverend Father Liston A. Garfield was installed as our Rector in 1993 until his retirement in 2013.
The Vestry of St. Andrew's consists of members who are elected by the congregation for three-year terms, which are staggered so that four new members are elected each year. Vestry members assume leadership roles in the administration of the church program.
The church building is a two-level modern brick structure which, on the upper level houses the nave, with a capacity of 200. The chancel has two choir stalls, pulpit, lectern and two litany desks; the sanctuary has a freestanding altar.
The St. Andrew's Rectory is located approximately two miles from the church and contains four bedrooms, a living-dining room, kitchen and two bathrooms on the upper ground level; a family room, den/study, bath, and utility room are located on the lower ground level. It has recently been completely renovated.
A hard surface parking lot borders the church building on its east and south sides.
The lower-level Undercroft provides space for bathrooms, the Rector's office, kitchen and utility room, and a main section that is used for parish functions as well as for activities sponsored by civic organizations and other groups.
In 1997, we dedicated our new two-level Educational Wing and rededicated our new sanctuary and Undercroft in November of 2002.